Diagnostic Laparoscopy means to do laparoscopy to make a diagnosis.
This can be done in many conditions such as –
- Emergency – To rule out loss of blood supply to bowel, perforation of bowel, bleeding from any organ, injury to any organ etc.
- In Cancers to see the extent of primary cancer and its spread.
- Many other conditions when other tests like ultrasound, CT scan etc. either could not find the disease or there is doubt regarding their findings.
After any surgery on abdomen or even otherwise, there can be adhesions inside the
abdomen.This may involve bowel or other structures.
The common symptoms are –
- Abdominal distension
By doing laparoscopy, the whole abdomen can be seen and adhesions treated.
Advantages of Laparoscopic Adhesiolysis vs Open –
- Whole abdomen can be seen from a small incision.
- Any part of the abdomen can be reached through very small incisions.
- It is very less invasion (small cuts) even if no adhesions are found during the surgery.
- Chances of reformations of adhesions to surgical scar are lesser.
- Less painful, quicker recovery and discharge.