This refers to the surgeries where patient is discharged from the hospital on the same day of surgery. Also known as “Ambulatory Surgery“, “Same-day Surgery” or “Outpatient Surgery“, but we simply call it: “One Day Surgery”
As techniques of surgery and anesthesia are evolving, it is now possible to operate patients in the morning and sent them home by evening. Both open and laparoscopic surgeries can be done like this.
Advantages of Day Care Surgery-
- No overnight stay in hospital – more comfortable for patients and caretakers.
- Less chances of hospital aquired infections.
- May lead to quicker recovery.
- Patients feel better in home environment.
- Saves precious time of patient and caretakers.
Some examples of Day Care Surgeries-
- Laparoscopic Appendicectomy (Appendix Removal)
- Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy (Gall Bladder Removal)
- Laparoscopic / Open Herniotomy (Hernia Surgery in Children)
- Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy (Bariatric Surgery)
- Many More….